Mission and Values
The Hartt School provides pre-professional training in the performing arts characterized by artistic and academic rigor, individualized attention including mentorship and peer support, and a synthesis of tradition and innovation leading to life-long service to and advocacy for the arts.
We believe in an education that:
- Promotes a contextual understanding of the arts from historical, cultural, and theoretical perspectives;
- Is rich in performance and collaboration opportunities within the School, University, community, and professional world;
- Cultivates broadly-educated individuals and performing artists of vision, depth, and confidence through unique opportunities available throughout the University;
- Is connected with the professional world and the evolution of the field;
- Fosters and develops teaching excellence, which equips and inspires future teachers to positively impact the field; and
- Underscores the essential role of the arts in enriching society and the human experience.