Undergraduate Admissions Process
1. Submit the combined University of Hartford/Hartt School Application. It can be submitted by PDF or online. For application deadlines and audition dates, click here.
2. Submit all additional application requirements, either with the application or within 2 weeks of applying, including:
- Essay (question within application)
- Two artistic letters of recommendation from teachers/professionals (the university does not require separate academic recommendations)
- Application fees ($35 application fee, $40 audition fee. Make checks payable to University of Hartford; waived for the December audition)
- Repertoire list (required for instrumental and vocal performance emphasis applicants; recommended for all others)*
- Sample compositions (composition majors only—scores and recordings if available); up to 50MB of audio and PDF documents can be uploaded at http://harttserv-01.hartford.edu/upload.html. You must include your name and intended degree in the subject line of each file. Please note: if your name and degree are not included in the subject line of each file your submissions will be automatically rejected. Please also note that we will only accept audio and PDF files. Finale or Sibelius files will not be accepted.
- Photo (headshot for theatre applicants, concert attire for vocal applicants, leotard and tights for dance applicants) We cannot accept emailed or uploaded photos.
*Students may also upload repertoire lists and resumes after creating a profile on Acceptd
Please note: if you applied to The Hartt School using an application that did not
ask for intended audition/interview dates, you must now complete the Hartt Supplemental Application
to schedule your audition/interview.
University of Hartford Interschool Transfer applicants must complete the Hartt Supplemental Application
to select an audition/interview date.
Acoustical Engineering and Music applicants must complete the Hartt Supplemental Application
if an audition/interview date was not selected on the application.
3. Send SAT/ACT scores and official transcripts from all high schools and universities from which you have earned credits.
4. The audition/interview date chosen on the application will be confirmed in writing once the application has been processed.
For audition dates and application deadlines,
5. After all students have completed the audition/interview, Hartt's faculty members will make the decisions on acceptance into the program and scholarship; the University then completes the academic review. The University requires a B average on transcripts; Hartt students averaged 1117 on the critical reading and math portions of the SAT in 2011 with a national average of 1017. Applicants must pass the audition/interview and the academic review in order to be accepted.
6. Undergraduate Early Notification decisions are made in December and will be postmarked by January 15. Decisions regarding an audition/interview on any other date will be made in March, and decision letters will be postmarked by April 1.
7. Accepted students who choose to attend The Hartt School must send in a tuition deposit postmarked by May 1.
The following are official University of Hartford codes for processing SATs, ACTs, TOEFL, and financial aid applications:
SAT and TOEFL: 3436
University of Hartford
Office of Admission
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
Undergraduate Application Time-Line
Completed application is received by Admissions Office.
Confirmation of audition/interview date is mailed by Hartt Admissions.
After audition/interview, files are prepared for decision.
By March 15 decisions have been made.
April 1: decision letters and scholarship awards are mailed.
May 1: tuition deposit deadline.
Please note: Auditions/interviews completed after March 1 will be eligible for acceptance but may not be eligible for scholarship.