About the Community Division
The Hartt School Community Division is the community arm of the nationally recognized Hartt School of the University of Hartford.
We are a regional arts school providing comprehensive instruction in music and dance for people of all ages and experience levels. We serve more than 2800 students throughout Connecticut with locations in West Hartford, Hartford, and Simsbury.
Our mission is three-fold:
- To ignite and develop a lifelong love of these arts in youngsters with open admission programs in music and dance
- To provide superior training and opportunities for talented young performing artists with career aspirations
- To allow adults to make music and dance a part of their lives, whether they’re reviving an interest or making a bold move into something new
Our program offers individual and class instruction, frequent performance opportunities, theory classes, master classes, and ensemble experience—all rooted in high-quality teaching and solid fundamentals. We encourage our students to enroll in multiple activities to support their whole development as artists.
The Hartt School Community Division is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Pre-Collegiate Arts Schools. We are proud to be viewed as a national model for community schools based on university campuses.
The Hartt Community Division is a member of the following organizations:
- National Guild for Community Arts Education
- Suzuki Association of the Americas
- Chamber Music America
- American Symphony Orchestra League