The Hartt School actually began as a community school.
In 1920, master teacher and musician Julius Hartt opened the doors of The Hartt School of Music at 222 Collins Street in Hartford. It was a cooperative, designed with his colleague Moshe Paranov and an association of teachers and students. Its goal? To give their one hundred students broader educational opportunities than were possible at the time. It worked, and seven years later, the school became accredited to offer college courses.
1938 saw the school’s first youth orchestra, The Hartt School Training Orchestra founded by Rubin Segal. This was the genesis of our ensemble program. Today it includes nine orchestras, three wind ensembles and eight choirs.
In 1959, The Hartt School and its Community Division became part of the University of Hartford. The Community Division exclusively offered music programs until 2005 when The Community Division absorbed the School of Dance Connecticut, formerly the School of the Hartford Ballet. The roots of the Community Division Dance Program run deep within the Greater Hartford dance community. Many of our core faculty members were dancers and/or teachers with the well-respected professional Hartford Ballet.
Our names, locations and affiliation have changed, yet we stay true to the core mission of providing excellence in performing arts in the community. Now, more than 90 years later, The Hartt Community Division offers expert instruction in music, dance, and music theatre.