From Studio to Stage
July 1 - July 27, 2013
From Studio to Stage 2013 is full and no longer enrolling students.
Please check back in the coming year for information regarding From Studio to Stage 2014, including the announcement of the Artistic Director, faculty and audition dates.
The Hartt School Community Division presents Le Corsaire
Millard Auditorium, The University of Hartford
July 27, 2013, 7:30 pm
Please come to see the culminating performance of Le Corsaire directed by Artistic Director Laura Alonso and featuring guest artist Eddy Tovar and the talented students of From Studio to Stage.
To purchase tickets, contact the University box office at 860.768.4228 or 800.274.8587.
Join renowned Artistic Director Laura Alonso for this exceptional program designed to provide a rigorous technical schedule, individual coaching and daily intensive rehearsals culminating in a professionally produced full-length ballet.
From Studio to Stage is a pre-professional program offering extensive performance experience to guide young dancers into today’s dance world. The multi-faceted and rigorous curriculum will take students beyond technique and lead them to improved performance.
Participating students are chosen by audition. Please see the audition link below for audition locations, dates, times and information.
“…get a real taste of what being a professional dancer is.” – Laura Alonso
- Participate in a rigorous, 9:00 to 5:30 Monday through Saturday, schedule of ballet technique, pointe, variations, contemporary technique, composition and body conditioning.
- Work in daily intensive rehearsals and perform in a professionally produced Full-Length Ballet at the culmination of the program. (4-week participants only)
- Be coached in a classical variation by Artistic Director, Laura Alonso.
- Perform a classical variation on stage and receive constructive feedback from a panel of faculty. (3 and 4-week participants only)
- Work with Vicente Hernandez, the founder of Preparacion Fisica of the Cuban National Ballet School to increase turn-out, extension, strength and stamina and build your body into a strong and healthy instrument.
- Build confidence for the stage.
Highlights of this unique program
- Full and partial merit-based scholarship opportunities available.
- Located in state-of-the-art facilities of The Hartt School at the University of Hartford in Connecticut, two hours away from NYC and Boston.
- Train from 9:00 to 5:30, Monday through Saturday. (Regardless of how many weeks you participate, classes will be held daily from 9:00-5:30)
- Opportunities for 2, 3 or 4 week options.
- Secure, supervised housing available on the University of Hartford campus.
- Daily transportation, meals, and linens included in housing packages. (Box lunches provided under the housing packages. Commuter students should bring their own packed lunch everyday.)
- Excursions to Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival and other area attractions.
- Weekly group dance talks and films.
- Individualized coaching in a classical variation and panel feedback.
When I was seventeen, I traveled to Cuba to a summer course called Cuballet. This is where I had my first experience working with the amazingly talented artistic director, Laura Alonso. With Ms. Alonso, I learned how to perform and how to deal with real situations on stage… “in the moment”. Her philosophy was that a dancer is formed on the stage not just in the studio and this is what makes her the perfect choice for our second year of From Studio to Stage. There are certain people that you meet in your lifetime that totally change your life. I can guarantee that Laura Alonso will be one of them.
Artistic Director and Chair, Hartt Community Division Dance Department
When we created the Pro-Danza summer program, Cuballet, in the year 1984, we wanted the students to get a real taste of what being a professional dancer was. From the studio to the stage...the rehearsals, the makeup, the acting style, are all crucial ingredients that go into forming a dancer.
As a Principal Soloist of the National Ballet of Cuba, I understood the necessity of performing in order to grow as an artist. As Artistic Director of my own company, Ballet Laura Alonso and of the Ballet School Pro-Danza, it is my pleasure to use this knowledge to develop new talents. My 30 years as an Artistic Director working with professionals and students has shown me that what you rehearse and perform on stage, you never forget.
I am looking forward to working with you this summer in a program based on my philosophy and giving you new insight into this fabulous and magical world of ballet performance.
Full Program (4 weeks): July 1 – July 27, 2013
Registration Fee, $50.00
Room and Board, $2100.00: check in June 30, check out July 28
3-week Program: July 1 – July 20, 2013
Registration Fee, $50.00
Room and Board, $1800.00: check in June 30, check out July 21
2-week Program: July 1 – July 13, 2013
Registration Fee, $50.00
Room and Board, $1200.00: check in June 30, check out July 14
For more information, contact the Hartt Community Division office at (860) 768-6000 or email@example.com.